Friday, November 13, 2009

Has it really been nearly a month since I blogged?

To my faithful blogging buddies (Rachel, Cass, and Mom!)- so sorry for the recent lack of postings. I have completely enjoyed reading your blogs Rach and Cass- how you both manage to post as often as you do is incredibly amazing to me - but it is a highlight of the day as I open up Google reader each morning, hoping to see some new pics and hear a bit about what's been happening in you (and your babies) lives.

My biggest excuse for not blogging is that we can't seem to find the cable that connects our camera to our computer, so I've been unable to upload any new photos of Simon, and of course photos are really what we all love to see. That and it feels like there hasn't been anything of real interest to blog about. The days have been good, passing quickly, but quite uneventful.

We did have an early Thanksgiving dinner which was delicious. I wanted my friends to be introduced to a traditional turkey dinner and the only time that worked for everyone was last Sunday. So I spent a good part of the week organizing who would bring what, and then on Sunday morning, Rachel and I went to my friend, Tahlie's house, and the three of us made rolls, stuffing, cranberry salad, and cookies, and put the turkey in the oven (and watched Thanksgiving Friends' episodes). It was lots of fun and all 25 people there seemed to enjoy it, although I am disappointed that Aussies' just can't devour a Thanksgiving dinner like Americans can. But hey, we enjoyed more leftovers - they lasted us through Wed- which I was thrilled about as I didn't have to cook all week!

Simon has been a real sweetie of late. The other day I was swimming (I've been swimming 4-5 times a week which is a highlight of my day. I just feel so much more comfortable in the water! I've been dreaming ways to sleep in the water.) Anyway, I just couldn't keep myself from smiling the whole time, just picturing Simon's cute little face. He just makes me so happy. He's as cuddly as anything and I love our bedtimes and nap times when he gets so affectionate and sweet and cute. The only problem is that we both enjoy cuddling too much and so it takes a good hour or two till he falls asleep, and I usually end up crashing out with him and then feeling disappointed that the only "free" hours of the day have been spent sleeping. I am torn between stopping these cuddle fests knowing that once little one arrives they'll likely be over (and so wanting to get Simon into the new routine now), but also enjoying the time with Simon so much and wanting to savor these special moments while I can....

Simon just keeps chatting away and comes up with new words and sentences/phrases all of the time. I love hearing him chatting and singing in bed at night. I wish that everyone else could hear how much his language has developed, but whenever we get onto Skype or the phone, he gets shy and quiet. But the boy really does love talking! It was cute - yesterday I was on skype with my friend Cathy- and Simon races into the room saying, "Nama, talk to Nama". That made me feel all warm inside knowing that he wanted to talk to his grandma and associating Skype with her.

Simon also amazes me with his ability to remember things. If he's struggling trying to make me understand a word or sentence, he'll call out "Dada" and ask Dada to interpret his words (or vice versa if Andrew's with him). If Andrew's away, I'll reassure him that when he gets home, we'll ask him. And would you know it, as soon as Andrew returns, Simon immediately goes back to our conversation and asks Andrew to tell me what he was trying to say. It's amazing how he remembers the conversation, without prompting, even after a few hours!

Hmmm.... what else has been happening over the last month? We are tossing out names for our little girl and so far "Grace" or "Gracia" is the winner, although Simon says we'll be naming her, "Roarrrrr!" Other names I like are Ada and Maria, but Andrew can't get the image of a large Italian woman out of his head when thinking of Maria and isn't that fussed about Ada. It feels like Gracie (we'll call her that for now) gets bigger every day as I get more and more uncomfortable. Less than 9 weeks to go now. We have a scan on Wed and I can't wait to see her. It somehow feels so much more real when you see their little bodies inside of you. She moves around but like Simon, doesn't seem to be a huge kicker or mover in utero - I am hoping that unlike Simon, she'll be a sleeper once she gets out of the womb. I still don't have the definite confirmation on the birth center but am fairly positive that I'll be having her there and am so excited about it.

Well I'll post this picture-less entry and hope that soon we'll find our connecting cord and you can see some more photos of our cute little boy. It's a Friday night and Andrew's not working, so we're going out! Andrew's putting Simon to sleep right now and then Rachel (our friend who is staying with us) is here in case he wakes up while we're out. Simon LOVES "Achel" and it's been great to have her with us to hang out and also to help out with Simon on nights like this. I'm excited! It's so rare that Andrew and I go out, so I'm hoping Si will fall asleep soon and will stay asleep so that we can enjoy a nice dinner while we have the chance!

So as Simon says to me every night, "Night, night, sweetie".

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay! Good to hear what's going on with you guys! I vote for Grace.

Marge said...

That is so sweet that Simon thinks Nama is on skype....even when I am not!! Thanks for the nice update. I will love your little girl whatever you decide to name her...except for Rooaarr!
See you soon!