Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Cute things from the mouth of Simon.
While I was watching Simon doing scooter "tricks" yeseterday, he said some very cute things and I actually wrote some of them down. "I almost jumped all the way up there (points to the roof) and landed back on my scooter." "I have to climb up this (points to the beam in the middle of our basement)." "I just going to move it (the pram) next to that pram." (to get it out of the way for him to climb up the pole on his scooter). "I park my scooter over here." (which is also does if we take his scooter to the park). My favourite little saying these days is, "so many people". He says this all the time, especially at dinner. when we all sit down at the table together he gets a big shy smile and says, "so many people" and then very cutely says who we all are, where we all sit and says soon Gracie will sit in his old high chair (he's moved to the big chair with a phone book on it). "like curious george" he told us (who also sat on a big book in one of his stories).
Tonight Reese, a friend of ours, is coming for dinner. Simon LOVES Reese, after only a few times meeting him and always wants to have him over for dinner. This will be the third Wed night in a row to have him. Simon loves having him read him his books before bed and gets all silly and excited when he comes around. Simon also loves to watch out the window for him to arrive and leave (and anybody to leave and arrive for that matter). He sits up there, "Is is here yet? This is a little bit exciting!" Then he wants to watch him leave, but he always has to go to bed first. Simon's been wanting us to leave his door open at night and for naps. It's pretty amazing b/c he actually stays on his bed and talks to himself for about an hour, occassionally calling out "mama" which I just ignore. I can't believe he stays in his bed that whole time while I wash dish etc. I like listening to him talk to Kitty and tell Kitty about his day. Very cute. I think we'll stick to early bedtime and let him chill out like this- it gives us an hour to ourselves. And he wakes up at 6 on the dot these days pretty happy. I try to get him to sleep a bit longer but it's always, "I'm not sleepy anymore. I want to get up." Yesterday I went to the gym after Andrew got home and Simon was so cute - when I returned he ran to the door, "Mama! You're back. I missed you so much!" and he gave me a big cuddle. This is his usual reaction to when I return from someplace and I love it! So sweet and makes a mama feel wonderful. We've been doing lots of baking together which I love. It also helps him eat his "dinner" which is what he calls lunch and dinner. Yesterday I was so proud of him- he ate his whole avo and cheese sanger, apple and kiwi fruit before eating his tiny teddy bear cookies for dessert. But the most incredible part was that his little friend Eli was there too and didn't eat any of his lunch (but had the cookies) and then he left and I had to put Grace to sleep and Simon still sat by himself at the table, finished his lunch and then ran into our bedroom carrying his plate, "look mama, I finished it all, I can have my teddy bears now!" I was so proud.
On Monday night Simon went over to Charlie, his next door neighbors, for a play and dinner and a bath. And Lisa (Charlie's mum) was so impressed by how well Simon did, how comfortable he was and how much he ate! 1 and a half sausages, mashed potatoes (he never eats these for me!), a huge amount of broccali and entire corn on the cob. OF course he never eats that well for us, or by himself! It wasn't until day care that we realized Simon could feed himself and eat all his food. Lisa did mention that they didn't have dessert - so I am wondering if Simon kept asking for dessert since we always put it on the table and he looks at it while he eats! I'll have to ask her. Leesa is so generous- she gives us all Charlie's adorable clothes and always send simon home with one of charlie's old toys. It's very kind and Simon loves it. Now he wants to send his friends home with a toy- yesterday he tried to force his school bus on Eli. But Eli didn't want to take it home! A little funny. And on Monday, we had a bit of a problem at his cousin Caleb's house because he wanted to take something home (this red scooter) and Caleb didn't want that to happen at all. In the end Si took it home (Jen wanted Caleb to learn to share) and Simon's been playing with the red scooter non-stop. I wish I had time to remember and write down all the cute things Simon does and says. I LOVE some things about this age so much, but struggle with other aspects but we're working on them. this morning Simon melted down because I had some blueberries in my cereal - it didn't amtter that simon had a massive bowl of blueberries and that I gave him some of mine. He wanted them ALL. Well, I thought it was a good opportunity to teach him about greed, so I started telling him Bible stories about greed- Jonah being greedy and wanting all of God's love for himself and telling him how Jesus could take away the greed. I said a prayer asking him to take away Simon's greed and help him to share. He was still crying, but not screaming at this point so that was good. Then I told him the story about the greedy mouse (no this one's not in the Bible but from the moving Cinderella), trying to carry all the cheese and then losing it all. He really liked that one and asked for it again, and seemed to make the connections because then he stopped crying and ate all his blueberries very nicely... HE is really getting into his Bible stories. We read them to him at breakfast every morning and he always asks to read the Bible. I'm trying to be patient and use the Bible stories in moments when he's disobedient. I will take him to the Bible and show him what it says about this or that. And then tell him stories that are related. And then he'll often repeat a little prayer after me. And it helps me to stay calm and not respond out of frustration and anger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks so much Liz for all of the stories about Simon! What a little guy! And I loved the other 2 blog entries as well...kinda' snuck up on me!! 3 entries in 2 days! You are amazing! Hope the possum will play possum and leave you all alone! Love, Mom
Post a Comment