Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Take time to smell the flowers.



When I was 15 years old, my boyfriend at the time gave me a card that read, "Take time to smell the flowers." Looking back, I think he was on to something.

I still find it incredibly difficult to slowly enjoy the small moments in life. I do enjoy them, immensely, just at a whirlwind pace which doesn't have the same affect as stopping and savoring and breathing in the beautiful scent of all these flowers that surround me.

I've never been a good gardener. Andrew smiled when he saw me having another go at a garden this year. His dad was up a few weekends ago and took me to Bunnings where we piled up a cart full of pots and flowers and herbs. A special day as Bunnings always reminds me of my dad (it's like Home Depot - heaven for a Mr Fix it like my dad who while in Australia at the time of Simon's birth spent many hours at Bunnings purchasing what he needed to fix and build things around our place). We decided to be resourceful and use some bricks that were lying around our garage as pots as well and to see what happens; Bob, an expert agricultural engineer and ace gardener, told me that you just have to wait and see what happens. Which I've been excited to do.

We returned from a week in Toowoomba to find my lettuce, rocket, coriander and parsley doing extremely well. Snow peas and strawberries looked great and I love how much my cucumber plant has grown. Living in a brand new suburban development, we can't actually dig up the grass in our back yard and lay down a proper garden bed, but I'm enjoying flower boxes on windows sills, and have planted petunias, peonies, violets, snapdragons, and dianthus. I love the added colour it casts through the window pane each day.





I've been surprised to find that I really like gardening. It slows me down in a really good way and I love taking the kids out each morning or evening to water the plants. They love this and somehow it feels right to get dirt under our finger nails and our feet a bit muddy.

This year I felt like God was telling me to slow down and yet when I reflect over the past nine months, while it's been positive, it hasn't been slowed. Grace is nearly 2 (in January) and seems ready for a day or two at Simon's Montessori children's house. I nearly booked her to start, realizing I could begin to prepare for and look for work again; and then changed my mind, realizing that I was moving too quickly. When I think back to times when I could've chosen a slower pace (i.e. was pregnant with Simon and busied myself with volunteering) I often think I should have enjoyed those gifted moments instead of filling them up with things, good things, but things nonetheless that took time away from learning to slow down and smell the roses.

I look forward to the next three months and want to enjoy them. To enjoy the more slow, routine of Simon at kindy (4 days a week now- he loves it!) and the joy of Gracie. She is such a mix of sweet and sassy and I am just falling in love more each day. I want to savour these months, as I felt the first year of her life spun by and I had little time to actually just drink her in. I have the opportunity now and I don't want to throw it away- again- by filling up my calender with "good things".

Ironically, I also felt God tugging at my heart to raise money for women and children rescued out of sex slavery this year. Thus far, this pursuit has kept me a very busy mum, despite a lot of "money" to show for it. In moments of prayer I've felt God telling me to slow down, quiet myself, and trust that God will use me in small ways, with small time, to raise awareness and funds. And what do you know- last week, with little effort on my part, I was amazed to see nearly a grand raised for Bloom, the organization I'm committed to helping. It was if God was whispering, "Trust me. and slow down and smell the roses."

So what's flowering around her for me to breathe in?

Gracie's language development is mind blowing. She's talking all of the time and forming small 2-3 word sentences, "Keep apron on." Andrew showed her a pile of ABC flashcards and to our surprise she knew all of the words and could speak them all as well. A few nights ago I asked her if she wanted to be a baby or a big girl. She was nursing, looked up and said, "Big girl." and then returned to her "milk". She loves wearing her "jumper", even on warm days and always asks to keep it on. Seems a bit obsessed with jumpers and "jackets".

Grace and Simon are really communicating now. I love hearing them talk to each other. Simon will try to slowly explain something to Gracie like, "Gracie, you can't hold the money because you might put it in your mouth. If we give it to you, will you not put it in your mouth?" To which Gracie will agree. As Gracie screams that she wants "money", Simon finally yells from the backseat, "Just give her the money!" They absolutely love each other, despite their regular squabbles over kitty and teddy. Gracie has decided that Simon's favourite stuffed animals are hers (a/t she knows they're not and will often give them back to Simon and say, "Simon's") and is constantly annoying Simon by taking them. I've been proud of Si, however, who has handled it pretty well considering. A few days ago we were at the chemist and saw the cutest kitty and teddy, which Simon and I decided we must get for Gracie. She loves them but now often insists on carrying all four around - and her dollie too- no one can be left out.

Seeing Simon adjusting so well back into his school after a month away has been beautiful. This morning he asked me if he can go to school even on the days he doesn't go- I asked him if he wanted to go today (not a school day) and he said, "A little bit." He thrives on routine and predictability which Mummy, while I like these things too, struggles to consistently provide! As is evidenced by our spontaneous trip to the USA last month, which by the way, despite the challenge of solo parenting for a month with 2 30 hour trips to bear, was wonderful. I am so thankful to my mom for helping make that a reality.

So, I'm hoping that I will reopen this blog (it's been a while since I've regularly posted) as a way of savoring these small moments in our life. Here's to Spring and newness. Here's to slowing down and smelling those flowers (Can only smell the roses when I'm in Toowoomba at Bob and Steph's whose rose garden is incredible).



1 comment:

Marge said...

How fun that you have started blogging again! I love you and can't wait to see you! Fun to hear about the kids too!