Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Swimming

Simon had his second swimming lesson today. I love watching him in these types of settings. He listens so well to his instructor and I see him adjusting little things he is doing, trying to do what she's telling him. I also noticed how my little boy, who has been at times very terrified of water and who tends to flap his tense little arms and legs around, relaxed in the water to try floating. I love his smile, seeing him volunteer to do something first, and put his head under water. Even with some of the other children in his class, crying and upset, he was happy and positive and comfortable. And always turns to find my eyes and gives me a wave or thumbs up and a big proud smile. After Simon's lesson he joined Gracie and I for a swim, and swim he did. With only a floatie ring around his waist he swam back and forth across the pool, racing Gracie to see who could get a cup that he would enthusiastically throw across the pool. He was having such a great time- I really could hardly believe that this was the same Simon. He's gaining confidence in the water and having fun, and I'm so excited to see him learn to swim! Gracie, who loves the water and especially loves sporting her pink, strawberry bathing suit, immediately strapped on Simon's life jacket when we first got to the pool. This worked well- she could swim around the pool with her "crabbie" floatie ring around her waist unassisted, as well as lie back in the water, close her eyes and nearly float off to sleep. After 2 hours in the pool she said to me, very concerned, "My fingers, mummy, they falling off!"

No comments: