


January 15th marked the 4th anniversary of my precious father's departure from this world. By far, the most painful day of my life, I am surprised that time does seem to dull that pain.
I always look forward to celebrating my dad's life and remembering him on his birthday and this anniversary. It was wonderful to have my mom with us- that also helped to ease the pain. And of course Simon, Gracie and Andrew are such a joy in my daily life that my sadness, while always present, is balanced by all that I have to be thankful for.
This year the date fell on a Sunday - and really there was no better way to remember my dad then to enter into a church of any denomination and imagine my dad's face- his slight, content smile as he worshiped his Father together with other strangers who he considered to be his brothers and sisters. I remember this smile at Catholic masses, Pentecostal, Lutheran, Anglican, Southern Baptist, Methodist,Conservative Baptist, Church of Christ, international congregations, you name it, my dad would just soak in God despite any differences he may have had in beliefs and always have more than a kind word about those strangers we'd just met. I love that about him. Oh, and always a visit to the prayer chapel in any international airport we'd be in- I recall an ecumenical service at Schipol airport in Amsterdam. He really could worship God anywhere.
On our way to church we stopped at... gasp, dare I say the good old golden arches? My dad loved his pancakes and by gosh, I think Mccy D's has some of the best pancakes around(even though I wasn't eating them!). I also remembered my first trip to McD's for pancakes- in Florida while visiting my dad's grandfather, "Great Grand Daddy Clark". This visit made quite the impression on me I think because of those pancakes and the little cups of butter and steel pitchers of syrup!
We planned to eat fish and chips in honor of my dad at the Noosa river, at a special spot where we'd had a picnic with my dad, mom, and Bob and Steph shortly after Simon was born. There is a picnic table which I always love to return to to remember that day. Also, when I was in hospital with Simon for a week after he was born, my dad would visit and bring fish and chips every day! He really liked them!
Anyway, we had a down pour and ended up under cover close by to that special spot. We got wet but it was a lot of fun! And so was watching Gracie and Simon eat ice cream in honor of him - and telling them ice cream stories about my dad- like the time we made ice cream floats and sprayed soda pop all over us at Aunt Judy's house when we were 7. Simon especially liked those stories. A week before he died, we were traveling from Pittsburgh to Connecticut in a blue convertible (in January! it was the only rental car available!). Anyway, we stopped at Friendly's for lunch and with the senior meal came a sundae for dessert. He kept trying to feed Simon ice cream - who was only 6 months at the time!!! I think he was teasing me! Cause he offered him peanut butter too! :)
So, it sounds like my dad was a really unhealthy eater which isn't exactly true- but I think we'd rather eat pancakes than spinach and chopped liver to remember him by!
I love you dad. And I can't wait to share an ice cream with you one day! Hopefully my resurrected body can handle dairy by then!
1 comment:
Thanks for helping make such good memories, Liz. It was a fun day and I have had a wonderful time with you all during my nearly 3 months in Australia. You have done such a great job of making me feel part of you all!!
Post a Comment