Monday, September 21, 2009

A little fall and summer in the midst of Spring





I always associate raking leaves and jumping into them with a beautiful fall day in America. I guess that's what we did when I was little, when the leaves turned colours in September and fell to the ground. But September in Australia isn't fall, it's Spring. And Spring in Noosa really is more like summer. Today was an incredibly beautiful, summer/spring day - perfect for hanging three loads of laundry on the line and a morning hanging out in our backyard. I decided I'd tackle the job of raking the leaves that have been scattered all over our yard for the past couple of months. An effort, considering that we don't own a rake and that it took twice as long since the real objective was for Simon to jump into them and delight in spreading them all back over the yard, loving the crunchy sounds they made. It took about two hours but was well worth it, as it turned out to be a very successful play/working morning.




After the leaves, I decided to wash our car. I felt a little guilty since Australia is always in a drought, with water restrictions, but, hey, if you only wash your car once a year, it's probably okay to run the water for an hour straight. Simon ended up with his clothes off and completely happy and the car looks excellent. How's that for a birthday present for Andrew? I told him, "I washed the car! Happy Birthday!" His birthday is on Wednesday but unfortunately he has to work a double that day (lunch and dinner shifts), so we'll have pancakes and maple syrup for breaky and he can have a surf in the morning.

Bob and Steph are coming up this weekend to celebrate Andy's birthday and we plan to go out for a nice breakfast together while they babysit Simon. I'm pretty terrible with coming up with exciting presents and creative surprises for Andrew's birthday. My fall back is: "Happy Birthday, Andrew, I gave you Simon!" (That was Andrew's birthday present three years ago and a pretty good one! You can't really beat that!)

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Such cute pictures Liz - thanks for sharing them!! Hope you guys are well. Lots of love from Germany.

Marge said...

Hey Liz...sorry that I hadn't checked your blog for a few days. I would have loved for Al and Edna to have seen the pictures as well (they saw the last one and agreed that Simon is pretty handsome!!). So glad that you had a nice "spring-fall" day with the little guy! Hope you have a good weekend.
Love, Mom