Monday, October 28, 2013

Guess how much I love my boy! An update on Simon Pierre!

I've enjoyed this past year with Simon so much.  He's growing into such a kind little boy, I couldn't be more proud.  Yesterday Gracie dropped her Christmas snow globe, a prized gift Grandma Steph had given her that day when we'd been visiting them in Brisbane.  Gracie immediately broke into tears and Simon was right there to comfort her.  "You can have my present until we can buy you a new one" he said, giving her his ceramic Santa house that lights up.  Then he gave her all the money in his piggy bank - and his piggy bank.  He and Gracie fight like cats and dogs, but so often they'll have sweet games together and I see such a tenderness from Simon towards Gracie.  Unfortunately we are still working on him not squeezing her and saying, "You are such a cute baby!"  He seems to think he's entitled to cuddle her whenever he wants too because "She's just too cute. I can't help myself!"  but you can't win them all, right!

I feel so much love and respect from Simon at the moment - what a gift after we had some really tough times last year.  He definitely shows his love with his words of affection which is nice for me as that's how I receive love. "Sweet mommy! I love you, " he'll say at least a dozen times a day and give me such good hugs.  I love how excited he is to see me in the morning and when I pick him up from school.  He's been responding really well to my encouragement for him to develop more independence and has been getting himself dressed each morning and night and finally, is brushing his teeth on his own.  

Last night we worked on his home learning school project on the Humpback Parrot fish.  It was lots of fun making a poster together, and watching the Octonauts to learn about the humpback parrot fish.  He loves school and has shown lots of improvement in his reading.  We started reading books through Bug Club and he's speeding through them.  On Friday his class had an excursion to the botanical gardens in Brisbane and it was a highlight!  He LOVED them, declared how beautiful they were and how I'd just love them. I've been so thankful for his lovely teachers this year- he has so much respect for them and has just thrived.  He's not happy about ending prep, however, and doesn't want to go to Grade 1 next year. :) Driving home from school after he had a show and tell about what he wanted to be when he grew up (he choose a scientist) he told me he liked being a boy and was in no hurry to grow up. I told him that was just fine.  I like seeing him playing with Octonauts and building cars for his kitty.  Childhood is the best, as long as he gets himself dressed in the morning! :)

It has been beautiful to see how much Simon loves his friends - so much that he gets sad and teary over the holidays because he misses them.  He and Micah are best mates and we had Micah over for a sleep over.  It was so much fun for all three of them (Gracie has a huge crush on Micah). The highlight was body painting Micah.


Swimming has started again but Simon missed most of last term since he was sick.  He's had a few lessons this term and he's improving in leaps and bounds!  I LOVE witnessing it!  Isn't it great how much your kids will do for teachers that they won't do for you?!  He puts his face in the water and actually uses proper strokes!  Yesterday we were at a swimming pool and he made it from one side to the other without a kick board but would he put his face in the water - no way! :)

We still have our moments and melt downs, but all in all, I'm really impressed with how he's learning to control his engine and how he can settle himself so much more quickly.  You can see his pride, "I turned it around, Mommy!" when he is able to calm himself down and he's been 100% committed to a healthy, clean diet, as he knows how much it impacts him.  So much so that he's become a healthy eating crusader, coming home telling me how we need to find a way to get his friends at school to eat healthier.  I offered to come talk to his class about healthy food but he said he didn't think that would work.  His idea is for me to talk to all his friend's mommies. :) 

In 5 weeks prep will be over and we'll be on a plane to the States- the countdown is on and Simon and Gracie are elated!!!  I am really hoping this trip will be a good one and that the stimulation won't be too much for Simon (and me!) as it has been in the past and that he can manage his engine better this time around (and I can too!).  Remind me to come back and read this blog two months from now if I'm at the end of my rope!



                                    
 AND a few more pictures to remember the past few months with.
Simon and Gracie at the multicultural fair in Caboolture!





Simon dressed up as a police officer for the prep parade and one first prize!

A play date at his bestie, Clayton's house.  Bec actually got him to hold their worms!!


Eating our favourite raw chocolate ganache cake
(and coconut cherry chocolate icecream) on Father's Day!

An oldie from our trip to Aussie World with Johan back in June.
I love that look!

No comments: