Thursday, November 29, 2012

Simon, the juice popper man.

I had to rush away from washing dishes - because it's words like these that I need to remember.

Simon, after we'd made a carrot and orange juice: "I love making juices.  Call me the juice man.... When I grow up I'm going to make REAL juice poppers (Australian for juice boxes).  I'm going to make it look like they are candy but there will only be real juice in them and I'll trick everyone and make them all healthy!"

Ahhh.... music to my ears.

and then, thirty minutes later....

Simon walks out of the office where he and Gracie had earlier been "packaging" some of their toys/books/ etc. to send to children.  Earlier today in the car he'd said, "We have to send them these toys because children NEED toys!"  And before that he and Gracie had made several trips to our mailbox to place their envelopes into it, hoping they'd somehow reach all those children in need.

Okay, am I confusing you.  Back to the moment.

So Simon brings out one of the envelopes, with a Dora book inside.  He tells me he knows who this one needs to go to, walks over to a large map we have on the wall with photos of children we sponsor in different countries, pinned to it.  He chooses the photo of Tigist, a beautiful Ethiopian girl, who is holding a book in her hand.

"See, she has a book in her hands so she loves to read.  We need to send this one to her."

My children are no saints- they are fighting with each other, as I type.  But it's these moments and words I need to remember, and thank God that his grace is bigger than my mistakes and weakness.

Simon might make juice poppers one day.  And those poppers, I believe, will be made of real juice, and real love, truth, kindness, justice and compassion.

1 comment:

Marge said...

That is so great, Liz...I really enjoyed reading it. Hopefully now I will be able to follow your blogs better. Thanks for putting me back in touch with them! Love, Mom