Thursday, August 14, 2014




It is 5 am and I’m awake – still feel the fatigue that is a result of the past 36 hours and the weeks prior to those – but I feel awake. I’m sitting here, in candle light, with a cup of my hot raw cacao drink (I brought a one kilo supply with me). Already it feels like we’ve slowed down. Perhaps because after the frantic pace of the past several weeks anything would feel slower– but yesterday felt like a movie I was walking through in slow motion. We managed to unpack all eight of our suitcases and put things away. Amazingly nothing had broken or disappeared and we didn’t pay customs fees on anything. 

Life is noticeably different already. The power has been out for a week, but we are blessed to live on a small compound with a backup generator which means they turn it on for a few hours in the morning and then again, for a few hours in the evening. Thankfully we have a gas stove. I am already wondering how to set up my systems for doing all the basics. Do I boil my water before I wash my dishes? What will be the best system to wash all of my fruits and vegetables? Yesterday we showered at our neighbors house as they had hot water and were generous to think we’d want a hot shower after a long journey. It’s cold here at the moment so our other alternative would have been boiling water in the kettle and filling up the tub. I think keeping clean and getting water will be two of my main activities of life here. I guess that started on our flight from Hong Kong, when half way through the trip the bathrooms ran out of water and there was not any soap to begin with! I was happy at least for the cheap fare, the many packs of sanitary wipes Steph had insisted I take with me, and the big smile and “Welcome” we received from the flight attendant when we stepped onto the plane.

I feel like God is looking after us and yesterday – after arriving at our new home- I felt this incredible sense of love and peace. Simon and Gracie were amazing little travelers, especially as Gracie started the trip with a high fever and vomiting and by the end, Simon had a slight fever as well. Simon had been so excited to spend his $120 Hong Kong dollars (about $15 Aus) while in transit. This had been one of his anticipated highlights and a good lesson in exchange rates! I couldn’t (and could) believe it when Andrew and the kids returned from their “shopping” and found out Simon had decided to spend the lot on Gracie.

Simon taking it all in stride ended when two Australians from Bingham arrived to pick us up at the airport. He was trying to work everything out, on very little sleep, and he was beginning to work himself into one of his states as he needed to know everything and his little brain just could not work it out. Then we drove onto our compound, to the apartment where we will be staying for the next two weeks before moving into our home. Immediately, I loved it. It is on the outskirts of the city, to get to it means driving up a very muddy, bumpy dirt road, and it is so green- right at the base of a small mountain (we are already elevated at nearly 8,000 feet). A close walk away is the Hamilton Fistula School for midwifery and their centre for women who are unable to return to their communities because of the way they’ve been shamed. And the compound, while surrounded by walls, has an “open “ feel as people walking down the mountain can see in and we can see out taking in the images of mothers walking down the mountain with babies tied onto their backs, children playing, animals grazing… It is a beautiful and somehow very peaceful view.

But back to Simon. Our lovely Australian “buddy family” had invited us over to their place for lunch and to visit the school, but I felt the best thing for Simon would be to have a break from more stimuli and a chance to settle in. The compound is green and our house looks out at a small field with swings and a sandbox and a small concrete slab with a basketball hoop. Simon took his new bow and arrow out and began to “suss out” the neighbours 2 boys- 4 and 6. I watched from the window wondering when they’d begin to play together. Soon they were playing and there was nothing better than when all three and Gracie ran into the house and Simon asked if I could find his loom band kit because the boys wanted to know how to make a loom band. The smile on Simon’s face made me think it would all be okay. My kids were in heaven playing with the boys for the rest of the morning. Later in the afternoon when the boys had gone out and the power was off which meant not being able to finish a movie they had started on the plane Simon decided he didn’t like Ethiopia because there is no internet and no electricity. But an hour later, when he discovered he could light matches for candles, he changed his mind again.

And Gracie. The past three days we’ve had many tears over Loveheart – our missing family member. In fact the day before we left, Andrew and Gracie ended up buying a six month supply of defleaing/bugging/ worming etc medicine for a cat, hoping we could get one for our family here to help ease the transition for our little girl’s heart. As soon as we arrived at the apartment Gracie was on a mission to locate the compound cat. To our surprise we discovered it actually belongs to the family we will be house sitting for, along with a lovely spirited dog. Camo, the gentle and so friendly white cat, spent most of the day in our house being patted and cuddled and oh, Gracie’s smile when she discovered she’d have a cat for the next year was absolutely again- everything a mother needed. 

So God has provided us with safe flights, all of our luggage, no problems in customs, friends for my kids (and especially for Simon), and a cat for Gracie, and Andrew can’t stop saying how much he loves it already and feels so at peace. And for me, the beautiful hydrangea flowering outside of our house was just one of those small details that made me feel so loved and a reminder that the God who created the entire world actually does really care about me and has a plan for my life. 

Sometimes God takes us down unexpected paths. This path has been a lifelong dream for me and yet, when it actually began to take root, I wasn’t ready for it. I loved my life in Australia and especially my friends who have become my family. I didn’t want to leave them or it behind. Saying goodbye is heartbreaking and I cried my eyes out in Brisy and Hong Kong but really have been grieving this loss for the past six months. Flying here, it was so hard, knowing I was following what I truly believe God wanted us to do but wrestling with God at the same time, something I have been doing also for the past six months. I know this journey has only begun and there will be days full of ups and downs and I will continue to grieve. But yesterday and today, what struck me the most was the sense of God’s presence with us and attending to these little details of our first day here. I don’t know what is in store, but it feels good to trust Him and I can be grateful for the peace I am experiencing.


Walk in gratitude and with compassion. These were the words I sensed Jesus speaking to me that day on the beach in Australia when I came before Him, completely open in my trust dilemma. A funny answer to my questions, but I think these two postures are what I need most in life. Today I am grateful for this new place, full of possibilities and small reflections of my creator’s love.

No comments: