Tuesday, April 29, 2014

ERs and gun shot wounds.

I took my friend, Elizabeth, to the emergency room this morning.  She's been vomiting and could hardly stand up.  Enroute, she shared that her father in South Sudan had been shot in the side.  She's been worried about his safety since fighting broke out in December and has been dreading such a call. She is unsure of how he is doing at the moment, as they needed to get him to the capital, Juba.  Her brother called in the middle of the night, but she was sick and he quickly ran out of credit and she had none on her phone card and no way to go buy a card at 1 am.

I dropped her at the hospital, drove to a gas station and asked for a good phone card to call Sudan. "Where's that?" the woman at the counter asked.  Hmm, how do I explain?  "Have you served any really tall, dark Africans asking for a phone card?  Which one do they buy?"  That answered my question and I left with what I hoped to be the right card in hand.  Turns out, it was.

Your thoughts and prayers for her family would be very much appreciated.  This family has been through so much.  They are strong, resilient, and I have grown to love them deeply.  I don't know how you keep taking the blows.  Her husband broke into tears tonight, explaining more to me about his father-in-law's condition.  He has wired money to his brother in law, hoping they can get him to Juba for swift medical attention but the situation sounds grim.

Across the sea in Canada, I heard yesterday from my dear friend - who just lost his sister to cancer in January - that his wife's father has just died - also from cancer.  There seems to be no end to the suffering and hardship.  "Thy kingdom come..."  Jesus, we need you more than ever.


No comments: