Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Me and my boy.



This has been a good summer for Simon and me.  After several rough patches this year, these past few months have been incredible.  Simon's stubbornness and determination have found a positive outlet.... swimming!  In a matter of weeks he'd taught himself to swim.  From keeping himself up for 7 seconds to actually swimming across the length of the pool!  I was gobsmacked.  My friend always said, "The world won't change Simon, Simon will change it!"  When he gets his mind to something, he's unstoppable.

I've been enjoying all of his cuddles and words of affirmation.  I told Andrew last night, "I just feel so loved and adored."  Simon must know my love language because he oozes love to me, like each night at his dinner table prayer. "Dear God, thank you for mommy. She's the best and her food is the best in the world!" He has actually FINALLY taken to my healthy cooking, getting excited about dhal and vegetable curries.  It's about time!

He also seems to understand more about who he is and accept these things - like not being able to eat certain foods.  He generally seems to want to choose healthy food and notices how other foods will hurt him because he's sensitive.  He asked me in the car yesterday, "What do we call it - the thing we have?  Not allergic but?  "  and then said, "If I get lost from you and someone offers me candy, I'll say no, "I'm sensitive!".

When I drop him off at school each morning, he never misses out on a few rounds of "kisses and cuddles".  I usually give him a huge hug in the classroom and say goodbye. Next thing I know he's running after us in the playground, beaming a smile, "You forgot something.  I need my cuddle AND kiss."  And when I pick him up after school, almost always a big smile and then proudly, he pulls out some of his work or colouring and says, "I made this for you! or I drew you with pretty colours because you are so beautiful!"  Ahhh, what a sweetheart.

I am so thankful for these past several months of a calmer Simon and the special times we've shared.  Looking back at pics last night, I realized I have very few photos of Simon from July - October of last year.  Those months were pretty hard on us both as he was really struggling to "get his engine just right" as the OT called it.   But with structure, routine, a very clean diet, and school,  he's pulled through beautifully.  I'm so proud of him!

No comments: