


It was an especially sad St Raja's Day this past week, as I missed my dad sorely on his March 2nd birthday. But that evening, after a dinner of blueberry pancakes and real maple syrup, we retired to the backyard for a game of T-ball, in honor of my dad. Having not played t-ball for quite some time we started out with the t-ball set my mom bought for Simon when he was 18 months old. Within five minutes we decided to graduate to soft ball (or plastic ball maybe is more accurate). We were stunned. Simon is no doubt, a natural athlete and baseball might well be his thing. It was a happy ending to a sad day, as I felt a special connection to my dad as I watched my son delighting in the sound of the ball cracking against the bat, the thrill of connecting the two and seeing the ball fly across the yard. It took me back to my own childhood, playing baseball with my dad. I can still see him throwing the baseball straight up into the air for what seemed like a mile, and then catching it gracefully in his mit as it returned to earth. I loved hearing the story of how a major league scout had seen him play when he was a kid and said, "That boy could play major league ball". In my last conversation with my dad, in the car on the way to JFK airport on that cold January day in 2008 when we said goodbye, I asked my dad, "Is there anything else you wanted to do in life?" He sheepishly smiled and said, "Well, I always did want to be a major league baseball player."
2 comments:
Thanks, Liz. I needed this!
Aw Liz....thanks for the pictures and the reminder that Dad loved baseball so much!! And I know he would love to be throwing a ball to Simon and watching him smack it!!
Post a Comment