Walking along the battery in Charleston
Halloween in the Burgh
Gracie at the pumpkin patch
The police officer and Handy Manny
Tasting hush puppies outside Hyman's Restaurant in Charleston
Gracie and I at the pumpkin patch
Aunties listening to Johan reading books to Simon (Rachel - are you wondering Simon has a poppy nappy - oh wait, he was potty trained by Charleston!)
Walking around Charleston
Another amazing culinary experience in Charleston
The lighthouse playground at Folly Beach
Johan on the slide.
Fire truck slide at the pumpkin patch outside Pittsburgh
At a restaurant in Charleston - I think we both had shrimp and grits, no wonder we're smiling. Little G liked grits as much as her mama.
More Folly Beach shots
Outside the Firetruck Museum, Charleston
At a restaurant in Charleston - I think we both had shrimp and grits, no wonder we're smiling. Little G liked grits as much as her mama.
More Folly Beach shots
Outside the Firetruck Museum, Charleston
Folly Beach, SC

Firetruck Museum, Charleston, SC
A visit to the pumpkin patch, outside Pittsburgh
Hayride at the pumpkin patch

Firetruck Museum, Charleston, SC
A visit to the pumpkin patch, outside Pittsburgh
Hayride at the pumpkin patch
It's been a while since I've had internet, let along kept up with my blog. We left Tewantin on the Sunshine Coast in late September. Our first stop was Toowoomba where I started a part time job as a social worker with Lifeline's family intervention team (working with families whose children were on orders with the Department of Child Safety). I really loved getting back into my field and while I of course missed Simon and Little G I admit it was good to have some time away and easy for me not to worry about them as they were in Andrew's great hands. One of the best things about going back to work was just being able to THINK again. Sounds funny, perhaps, but after almost four years of being a stay at home mom it was kind of like a mental holiday. I find that I am constantly multi tasking and managing fifty different needs and emotions on a continual basis and having the gift of just thinking about work 2 days a week was very satisfying.
When we originally moved to T-ba we thought we'd stay at Bob and Steph's until after we returned from our USA trip. At that time, we planned to find a house and settle down in Toowoomba where Andrew would look for a teaching job. However, after a week in T-ba, we found out about a dream teaching job for Andrew that wasn't in Toowoomba but was in Caboolture, which was about an hour from our old home in Tewantin. But more of that to come....
Second stop. USA. I have been hoping to do a whole blog entry on our trip but several months later, I think I will just sum our trip up as AMAZING - one of the best traveling experiences I've had although at points we bordered on insanity. Our itenary -
Okay now that I've updated all my faithful readers on the past five months I can get back to blogging. My goal for this year is to post more regularly, just little things weekly as a kind of diary to keep my family and friends up to date on our lives as well as to look back on in years to come.
Brisbane - LAX- Chicago IL- Jackson and Ann Arbor, Michigan-Pittsburgh, PA-Charleston, SC-Virginia Beach, VA-Harleysville, PA-Waterford, CT-Pittsburgh, PA- Goshen, IN - Chicago, IL - LAX- Brisbane (over fifty hours of driving and forty hours of flying or in transit).
The best part about the trip was seeing my family and good friends. As you can see from the pictures, Simon and Johan hit it off beautifully as did Salma, Grace, and Simon. I loved experiencing fall in America. The pumpkins, apple orchards, celebrating Halloween and Thanksgiving American style, apple cider, leaves turning colours, brewed coffee, the FOOD (especially in Charleston!!!), children's museums, LegoLand, SNOW (on the last day of our trip), Mexican restaurants, playgrounds, firetrucks, Chick-fil-a (Simon and Johan liked that!), Barnes and Noble, going to pick out and chop down a Christmas tree - it was all so festive and American and I loved it all. We were so blessed by great hospitality from friends and family. After the first week of jet lag (AWFUL) we really relaxed and had a real holiday. And surprisingly the airplane ride over went well but the ride home was, well I've blocked it all from my memory it was that bad. But hey, since it's blocked, I'm ready to do it all again!
Third stop. Toowoomba again, where I worked some more and we stayed with Bob and Steph again while we waited to see if Andrew would get his dream teaching job at a Christian school in Caboolture. Back in early October we found out about the possibilities of some openings for a job there in January (Andrew's brother Tim works at the school) but nothing was set in stone- at that time they hadn't even posted any jobs. It sounded like a perfect fit for Andrew and we both had this incredible sense of peace and calling - that this is where we were supposed to be. So we prayed about it and just held onto this incredible peace that we would end up there. It was an incredible four month journey of trust and really quite special- as I felt myself constantly/daily/hourly praying about it all. One night in Charleston, SC, I was praying about our future and where we'd live and I asked God if we could think about houses together or more specifically, look online at houses together. So at midnight, I get up and get online to look at houses (with God) and there is this perfect brand new never been lived in, house that leaps out at me for $400 less each month than all of the other houses in that area. Oh my gosh, God - we should do this more often!!! Well, in short, four months later, here we are in the house next door to that perfect house and yes, paying $400 a month less than the market value because of this great government scheme called the National Rental Affordability Scheme that God lead me to.
so, Fourth stop, four (or five)months later, here we are in Caboolture and so grateful and happy to be here.We love our house and being settled and having internet after so many months. We love it that there are two Sudanese families with little children our kid's ages in our neighbourhood. We love it that the principal at Andy's school told him not to take work home on the weekends. We love the extra space we have in our house, the garage, air conditioning, and CLOSETS! Funny how much you appreciate the little things you've missed when you are living out of boxes and suit cases for an extended period of time. Like routines and knowing where you put the nappies.
Okay now that I've updated all my faithful readers on the past five months I can get back to blogging. My goal for this year is to post more regularly, just little things weekly as a kind of diary to keep my family and friends up to date on our lives as well as to look back on in years to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment