Friday, July 2, 2010

Grandparents

Simon loves stories. He asks for them all the time and listens very attentively to each story, taking in each and every word. This afternoon, before his nap, he asked me, "You going to tell me a good story today?" "Yes, I said," and told him about my Papa Lewis's secret recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies that he'd make each time we visited, and about Grandma Pierce's Golden Grahams tucked away behind the blue striped cloth that covered their pantry (which was tucked away under the staircase of their little home). I love these memories (most of mine involve food!?!)and love sharing them with Simon, who giggles in delight, squints his cute little pug nose up and says, "that's a rearry good story, mummy!"

I love my grandparents and revisiting all these memories makes me remember how special and magical it is to be a child and have grandparents around to make you feel so loved. Today I received a letter from my Mimi Jane - with a birthday card for Simon. I love reading her letters - complete with cut out pictures of little scenes that she thinks would interest Simon. I can't wait for Simon to meet her again this coming fall. Today he saw a picture of a train that G-ma Steph had given to him (of a Train in BC crossing Roger's Pass) and Simon said he wanted to go to America to see that big train. I thought both Mimi and my dad would get a laugh out of that one, and hearing from my Mimi made me feel loved and special.

This past week over our winter school break, we stayed with Bob and Steph in their new home in Toowoomba. It was wonderful - I had a wonderful time. Steph cooked us three amazing meals a day, complete with desserts like sticky date pudding, rhubarb, apple crisp, and gf refrigerator cookes. And then she watched Grace and Simon while Andrew and I went shopping a few times. And Bob and Steph even got up to Grace in the night several times (as she was waking several times a night) so that I only had to get up and feed her once a night! What kind of love is that?! I felt refreshed by the end of the week, and think I may be ready to face the challenge of the next 10weeks ahead- Andy's student teaching. Thank you for loving grandparents.

But today, when Simon asked by ten am, "Can we go back to Grandma and Grandpa's house?" I started to think of our past week through Simon's eyes.

The fire burning in the fireplace, the workman out back with a chainsaw (Simon told me, "I want to be like that man when I get bigger, and use a real chainsaw), digging with Grandpa in the backyard and getting filthy, riding the John Deere and the dump truck up and down the driveway, watching playschool with Grandma, hanging up the washing with Grandma, making cookies with Grandma, pulling out the drawars filled with fruit in G-ma's kitchen, chasing Fliss around the house, finding and eating G-ma's hidden licorice, taking a nap in their big lounge chairs, playing soccer at Queen's park, walking to the local park and riding his scooter on the skate ramps, driving to the miniature train park (but no trains around)... the list goes on and on. What magic for Simon. He never wants to leave and always feel absolutely loved.

It will be wonderful when my mom retires and is able to be around more often so that Simon can form these lasting memories of her as well - and of course, we always talk about my dad hoping that Simon will grow up feeling like he knows him as well. How much my dad would love this boy. I have missed my dad so much lately.

And Gracie - she was absolutely happy with G-ma and G-pa too. Bob has the special touch of getting her to sleep in her cot and we left her alone with Steph for several hours over the course of the week and she was always happy. She likes G-ma's pumpkin too (just like Granddad Gracie!). And liked laughing and playing with her feet on their soft rug in front of the heater.

Winter in Toowoomba, at Grandma and Grandpa's was pretty magical. I think we all left feeling loved and special and happy. And full!

1 comment:

Judith said...

Wonderful Liz! You even stirred fond memories for me.
I was thinking about how my mom told me stories of my grandparents that I never knew and how alive they were and are to me because of that. I'm sure Simon and Gracie will have the same love for their "grands" that they have not met.